Friday, September 17

resident baker.

"man ms. sullivan, i wish my momma could bake like you." yep. i was told this about 17 hundred times today. thank you, nestle tollhouse cookie dough bucket. i baked my students cookies. i broke. and the results were stellar (my 4th block likes to mimic my usage of the word stellar. boogers.) my 3rd block is full of superstars. we had a class discussion about what went well this week and the phrase, "we actually learned because we were quiet" literally came out of the mouth of my little sassafras. they UNDERSTOOD that i could teach if they got their act together. what a concept. but it was beautiful day. it made me so happy. my 3rd block has become this organism that is positive, the students love the class, are passing their quizzes, and tell me how much they love me. i had my first day of job satisfaction. and it was wonderful.

so many good adjectives describe today. i still had to break my 4th block (im training them. literally. they sat on the floor in the hallway today to use the bathroom. yep. the floor. because they can't handle standing. i took a perverse pleasure in it today. "ms. sullivan, this floor be nasty! we too old for this" my response- a smarmy look and a "really? lets think about your behavior yesterday...")

i had a meeting regarding my 8th graders with someone from the district. and we both decided that the 8th grade curriculum was a little out of our reach. so im creating a new curriculum that is going to prepare my babies for passing the LEAP test and setting them up for actual success in their futures. i have a 16 year old 8th grader who I just adore because today he said, "ms. sullivan, i do the most work in your class" and i had someone earlier in the day joke about how often this student would sleep in all his other classes. job satisfaction encapsulated.

im worn out. and currently baking a white cake with white frosting for my dear friend goolia's faux birthday shindig tonight. my frosting is delicious, but i do have a request in for an oven that actually bakes things instead of scorching them. that and a sewing machine would pretty much complete my life at this point.

and i just realized i can make my hair look like justin beibers. sick.

5 comments:

  1. Dear Alex,
    You're the bomb. hugs, Mamma Goolia

    ReplyDelete
  2. um I miss your baking :) And I too love nestle toll house cookie dough. Too bad I'm officially on a diet to lose my post baby weight lol. Wish you would post more pictures and that one day you would g chat me and see baby Ellie..

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think i love reading your blog so much because i can reread the first few lines and laugh just as hard as i did the first time. missin' you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh and ps. i have mild bieber fever and would be envious of your hair. any hair for that matter. but bieber hair fo' shizzle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok Justin Bieber (spelling) YOur litttle students have no idea the goodness tbey are eating when you bake. New Orleans and counting.....17 days and counting!!! WOOOOOO HOOOOO LUV YOUR! XOXOXXOXO

    ReplyDelete